The other day, I wanted to test the oven here at our new apartment and I decided to bake a basic vanilla cake. I don't really stick to any one specific recipe for a plain cake. I just kind of go along with the flow. That's exactly how I started when I had this sweet little accident and ended up with some yummy banana bread kinda thing instead :) See, what I did was cleverly replace one egg with a banana that was crying out to be used, what with all the mushy bits and dark spots! In the end, the house smelt heavenly as the banana and vanilla in the oven did a slow waltz and wafted through the kitchen. And yeah, well, I found that the oven works, very efficiently :)
My accidental recipe for banana bread -
1.25 cups plain flour
100gms unsalted butter
3/4 cup sugar
1 (very) ripe banana
1 tbspn milk
1tspn baking powder
a few drops of vanilla essence
- In a large mixing bowl, throw in the (softened) butter and sugar and whisk well until combined.
- Break in the egg and continue to whisk.
- Mash the banana and mix into the contents in the bowl.
- Add the vanilla essence.
- Sift the flour with baking powder, add in slowly to the mixture and keep whisking to form a smooth batter.
- Add milk to adjust consistency of the batter, which should be neither too stiff nor runny.
- Pour into a greased and floured baking tin and chuck it into a preheated oven.
- Bake at 180 deg for about 20mins or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted in the middle of the cake.
- Serve warm with a dollop of love :)
Husby was as thrilled as I was! He kept saying that I should bake this often, which I really think I will. Maybe I'll try using wholemeal flour the next time. Or buy some bananas and wait until they look pathetic, again!