Tuesday, December 21, 2010

A Snack in Need is a Snack Indeed!

Have you ever been bitten by the 'I-wanna-eat-something' bug? Well, it seems to like me, a lot! It specially loves to visit when I'm home alone and bored. That's when a whole lot of emotions and thoughts are running rampant in my head, like so - "I want a snack; but I don't want anything oily; Oh but I do!; No! Nothing oily; But something to munch on; But then I'm too lazy to make anything; Oh what can I eat; Darn! The munchies jar is empty; Now what?!"

One on such crazy afternoon, this great idea sprang to mind and I made besan pancakes (or so I'd like to call them). Quick, easy, not oily. Perfect for those notorious needy-clingy hunger pangs. The best part about this recipe is all the ingredients are at hand and it's made in a jiffy. I love such recipes because then I can prance about in my cozy little kitchen, pretending I'm on a cooking show and go about making my snack with the enthusiasm I started with. The joy of reaching out to just the right jars, measuring out everything, chopping, and preparing is something else! Otherwise my enthusiasm is generally dampened if it means I have to make a quick trip to the supermarket to get something I don't have. Since this recipe calls for just some basic stuff, it's a
favourite. See what I mean -
  • besan (chickpea flour) 1.5 cups
  • finely chopped tomato 1/4 cup
  • finely chopped onion 1/2 cup
  • 1 tbspn finely chopped coriander/cilantro
  • 1 tspn whole jeera (cumin)
  • 1 tspn paprika/chilli powder
  • 1/4 tspn turmeric powder optional
  • a pinch of hing (asafotieda) optional
  • a pinch of carom seeds (ajwain) optional - I generally add this to anything made of besan
  • salt to taste
Mix everything to make a (pouring) batter. Pour a big spoonful onto a heated skillet and spread evenly. Spray some oil and cook on both sides until done. Serve hot with some tangy pickle or maybe some tomato sauce.

Hate not those sudden cravings, instead make these besan pancakes and enjoy!

2 comments:

Ash said...

I loved it & saved it for a try.,.... Would love to savor it...I basically love it.... Besan ka Chilka..... Hugs)))

Ash....
(http://asha-oceanichope.blogspot.com/)

Divya Rao said...

Yeah, do try it Ash!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin