Having said that, the effects of street food can be created at home as well. The same feeling of heightened senses as the spice hits just the right spots, the same medley of flavours and with some Bollywood numbers blasting from the iPod dock, voila! it's the street food experience right at home, and with clean water and washed hands :)
Ingredients - (will serve 2, 1 if you have a very strong craving)
(I haven't mentioned the quantity of some ingredients as it's totally up to your taste and liking. More if you love it, less if you don't so much)
- puffed rice 2 cups
- finely chopped onion
- finely chopped cucumber
- grated carrot
- roughly diced boiled potato
- finely chopped tomato
- finely chopped fresh coriander/cilantro
- a handful of roasted peanuts
- a splash of lime juice
- ready made papdi (available in Indian grocery stores), optional
- salt, chaat masala powder (available in Indian grocery stores) and tamarind chutney (available in Indian grocery stores to taste
- sev (available in Indian grocery stores) to garnish, optional
- Simply combine everything, except puffed rice and sev, in a large mixing bowl.
- Add puffed rice just before you're ready to serve and toss it well.
- Garnish generously with sev and some extra chopped coriander and serve immediately.
So hope you try this street food classic at your place and maybe it will inspire you to try it on the streets of India, if you haven't already!
Until then, cook, serve, love!