- 1 cup cooked basmati rice
- finely chopped dill and spinach (I used one bunch of dill and half a bunch of spinach)
- 1 onion finely chopped
- fresh green chillies chopped (optional)
- 1 tspn chilli powder or rasam powder
- a pinch of turmeric powder
- 1/2 tspn sugar
- one small piece of ginger, grated
- for the seasoning - mustard seeds, asafotieda or hing, fennel seeds or saunf, cumin seeds, split urad dal, peanuts and some cashewnuts
- 2teaspoons oil
- salt to taste
- Heat oil in a wok and add mustard seeds. Once they splutter, add fennel seeds, cumin seeds, asafotieda and urad dal.
- Add chopped chillies and grated ginger.
- Add peanuts and cashewnuts and fry for a few minutes till they turn toasty and light brown.
- Add chopped onion and saute till it is cooked.
- Now add the chopped greens and cook for a few minutes.
- Add turmeric powder, chilli powder ( I used rasam powder), salt and sugar.
- Add the cooked rice and mix well.
The aroma of the herb and greens brought M to the kitchen with an inquisitive look in his eyes. I was sure that the exhaustion had made him really hungry for him to show an interest in what was cooking!
I served it with aloo raita. (diced cooked potato in spiced yoghurt)
I'm sending this recipe to Sowmya's SWC - Cooking with Greens.