I've always wanted to try this and I found an easy recipe on the biriyani masala packet. So, one evening, when M was busy assembling a chest of drawers we got from Ikea, I made him a tasty dinner.
- basmati rice 1 cup (will serve 2)
- mixed veggies - carrots, french beans, cauliflower, peas & potatoes - 2 cups
- onion, 1 large
- ginger and garlic paste, 1 teaspoon
- tomato puree 2 tbspns
- yoghurt 3 tbspns
- turmeric powder, just a pinch
- red chilli powder, 1/2 teaspoon
- biriyani masala powder 2 teaspoons
- ghee or clarified butter
- salt to taste
- fresh coriander or cilantro
- Cook rice and keep aside.
- Microwave or cook the veggies and keep aside.
- In a deep pan heat the ghee and saute the onions in it till tender.
- Add the ginger garlic paste and suate for a few seconds.
- Stir in the tomato puree, turmeric and chilli powder and cook till the ghee separates.
- Lower the heat and pour the yoghurt, stirring simultaneously.
- Add the biriyani masala powder and salt.
- Mix in the cooked veggies and cook for a few minutes.
- Take a wide bowl and layer it with some cooked rice.
- Next layer it with the biriyani masala mixture.
- Alternate the layers till you use up everything.
- Garnish with fresh coriander or cilantro.
You could also garnish it with fried onion. For an exotic touch, you can add some saffron to a part of the rice and use it as the top most layer.
M worked hard with the drawers, so I rewarded him with the yummy biriyani and some cool raita!