M & I had this strong desire for Indian street food. I had a big chunk of cauliflower in my fridge for a while and I found the perfect excuse for Gobi Manchurian - cauliflower fritters in a spicy 'n' tangy sauce.
- cauliflower florets 1 cup
- corn flour 3 tbspns
- chickpea flour 1 teaspoon (optional)
- salt, red chilli powder and some cooking soda
- oil for deep frying and for the sauce
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- ginger and garlic paste 2 teaspoons
- 2 finely chopped fresh green chillies (optional)
- vinegar, soy sauce, chilli sauce and tomato sauce - depending on how tangy you want it
- fresh coriander or cilantro and spring onion to garnish
- Sprinkle the cauliflower florets with some salt and keep aside.
- Make a thin batter with cornflour, salt, chilli powder and a pinch of cooking soda.
- Dip the cauliflower florets in this batter and deep fry till they turn crispy and brown and drain on a kitchen towel.
- In a wok, heat the oil and saute the onions.
- Add ginger garlic paste and green chillies and saute for a few seconds.
- Next add all the other sauces and saute for a while.
- Add salt to taste.
- Add the fried florets and toss lightly.
- Garnish with fresh coriander and chopped spring onion.
You can substitute the cauliflower with babycorn for an interesting variation.
Mmmm, a definite tangy teaser this one!